The Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) sets information technology (IT) policy and direction for the State of Washington. The State CIO is a member of the Governor’s Executive Cabinet and advisor to the Governor on technology issues.
The OCIO’s unique role in state government is to:
- Create clarity and alignment for IT investments
- Provide strategic direction and enterprise architecture for state government
- Enable standardization and consolidation of IT infrastructure
- Establish standards and policies for efficient and consistent operations
- Educate and inform policy leaders
- Create and nurture a cohesive operating IT community
- Bring technology expertise to improve the business of Government
- Foster innovation and experimentation to bring modern capabilities to Government
Together with OFM Budget the OCIO will bring a big picture view of agency investments and strategies, assuring that agency investments will fit into an enterprise view of IT.