E-Mail Naming Standard Guidelines (as of 11/30/2015)
Use one of the methods listed below in order to resolve duplicates. These methods are listed in order of preference.
- Use the employees preferred first name or nickname (jim.smith or jt.smith)
- Add a middle initial (james.t.smith)
- Add a number if no middle initial (james.smith2)
- Add a middle initial and number (james.t.smith2)
When creating the e-mail address:
- Use lower case letters (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Use hyphens for compound or hyphenated names (e.g. karen.evans-smith)
- Remove punctuation from employee names and leave no spaces (e.g. obrien, not o'brien; stpeter, not st.peter.
- Ensure that no inappropriate or derogatory phrasing is used when creating the address.
The following characters or designations should not be used in creating the local part of an e-mail address.
- Designations such as Jr., II, Phd
- Other punctuation or special characters from employees name.